The WCB calculates your annual premium using your annual payroll estimate. Whether you are required to, or choose to, cover your workers, one of your primary obligations under The Workers Compensation Act is to submit payroll information each year before the last day in February.
The required payroll information includes your businesses actual payroll for the previous calendar year and an estimate for the current year. Once the WCB receives your payroll estimate, it is multiplied by your premium rate then divided by 100 to determine a premium amount. The minimum annual premium is $100.
You are not required to send payment to the WCB when you submit your payroll information. Payment will be due according to your payment schedule outlined in your Account Statement which we will mail to you after your payroll information is received.
Please note - you must report your actual payroll and your estimated payroll by the last day of February even if the amount is zero. Failure to do so will result in penalties.
Employers report their payroll using the WCB's online Payroll Reporting System.
What Information Do I Need to Report My Annual Payroll Online?
Online Payroll Reporting is a secure Internet System allowing employers to annually report their payroll figures on a one time basis to the WCB 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Before you begin, you should have the following information available so you can complete your submission:
- Six-digit Access Code which can be found on the Annual Payroll Reporting letter mailed to you in January
- WCB Account Number
- Total estimated payroll for this year. The 2023 estimated payroll should be based on the new maximum assessable earnings cap of $153,380 per worker
- The total hours worked by your workers in the prior year
- Last year's gross payroll if any of your workers earned more than $150,000 in 2022
- Information about a sale if you have sold your business
- Date you last employed workers if you have sold or closed your business
Who Do I Contact If I Have Questions?
The Assessment Services Department is available to answer your questions. Call 204-954-4505 (Winnipeg), 1-855-954-4321, ext. 4505 (toll free in Canada and the United States), email AssessmentServices@wcb.mb.ca, or visit our website to start an online chat. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Maximum Assessable Payroll
- Reporting Payroll For Workers Outside Manitoba
- Submitting Your Annual Payroll
- Paying Your Premium
- Reporting Changes in Payroll Estimates
- Reporting and Paying for Personal Coverage
- Penalties and Interest